CONTROLLER - FINANCE
The Controller at Rising Tide Capital will be a trusted leader on the finance team that will report into the Chief Financial Officer. This role will be responsible for ensuring the smooth running of all daily accounting activities with the support of the finance manager. This person will stay close to our financials having constant awareness of the origination’s financial position, will act to prevent issues, and keep us proactive in planning. The Controller will leverage their deep experience in non-profit finance to partner on financial reporting, grant reporting, annual planning, payroll and other finance and compliance projects. We are seeking a finance leader who has exceptional accounting skills, is highly motivated to help us make a positive social impact, enjoys bringing organization and structure into a continually evolving fast-paced environment, and will exemplify the organizations core values. They will not only be an exceptional problem solver but will have the ability to problem prevent and anticipate needs of the finance team and the organization throughout its growth journey.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Grant management experience – grant processes, allocations and interpretations
- Account reconciliations for Rising Tide Capital, Inc which includes journal entries, account reconciliations and general ledger transactions
- Maintenance and reconciliation of affiliate books and records
(1217 Kennedy Blvd and 311 Martin Luther King Blvd – LLCs)
- Bank reconciliations
- Capital expenditures reconciliations
- Complete intercompany transactions
- Responsible for month-end close process
- Monthly financial reporting – Preparation and analysis of financial information in accordance with GAAP
- Financial performance analysis with strategic assessments around growth, risks, and opportunities
- Develop dashboards of financial data to help understand the trends around revenue, operations, and impact
- Cash management – prepare bi-weekly and monthly cash flow reports
- Policies and procedures – observe opportunities to strengthen internal controls, add efficiency to financial operations, and document improvements in our policies and procedures
- Create monthly rolling forecasting with reports to guide mid-term and long-term financial decisions
- Assist with year-end budgeting process and presentation with annual budget
- Timely grant management process for timely request for reimbursements, proper recording, tracking allocation methodologies, and reporting
- Assist with annual audit and ensures they are performed in accordance with OMB Circular A-133, GAAP, and/or other applicable regulatory standards
- Assist with annual form 990 and states filings
- Prepare routine financial reports and ad-hoc reports for operational review and decision making
- Assist with annual 1099 preparation
- Process or supervise the processing of all accounts payable and receivable transactions, billings and cash receipts in a semi-paperless work environment.
- Process bi-monthly payroll and maintain payroll records in relationship with our PEO (“Insperity”)
- Prepare and disseminate monthly reports to Program Directors/Manager, Senior Managers and other Managers.
- Coach, mentor, and support the Finance manager with an emphasis on helping them to level up
- Reviews and approves all contracts that have a financial impact on the organization and assures that the CFO is well aware of the financial implications of entering into those contracts.
- Must have the highest integrity, be diplomatic, analytical, and possess sound judgment.
- 5+ years relevant accounting experience with deep knowledge over grant management required
- Non-profit (financial or audit) experience required
- Previous experience as a controller or assistant controller a plus
- A strong collaborator with the ability to translate financial analysis, financial processes, details, and reports digestible for programmatic and fundraising colleagues without finance backgrounds.
- Talent management skills with a passion for cultivating junior finance talent on the team
- Demonstrated performance in solving complex problem and providing clear solutions
- Strong analytical and modeling skills
- Prioritizes well and enjoys multi-tasking in a fast paced environment
- Fund-EZ experience a plus
Rising Tide Capital was founded in 2004 on Martin Luther King Drive in Jersey City with a mission to empower under-resourced entrepreneurs to become thriving business owners that deliver value and impact to their communities. Rising Tide’s model is unique in that it offers ongoing mentoring and support to ensure sustainability as well as pandemic relief and recovery resources and coaching. The Rising Tide Capital alumni network is made up of 71% women, 93% are people of color, and 80% are low-to-moderate income. Within two years of graduating, its entrepreneurs achieve a 95% increase in their business sales, a 63% increase in household income, and a 59% reduction in the use of public assistance. Classes are taught in English and Spanish and, before the pandemic, hosted classes in Newark, Jersey City, East Orange, Elizabeth, Union City, and New Brunswick. Rising Tide Capital’s work has been recognized by President Obama at the White House, the World Economic Forum, CNN, and many more.
Rising Tide Capital’s mission of transforming lives and communities through entrepreneurship
has become a shared purpose and hope for a more resilient future. Our national initiative to share our model with other communities and harness the transformative power of entrepreneurship for inclusive economic opportunity is now in Chicago, Il; Charlotte, NC; Charleston, SC; Willmar, MN; Alexandria, LA; and Palm Beach County, FL.
HOW TO APPLY
** Please note: We are not accepting unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters or agencies at this time.To apply, please email your cover letter, résumé and salary requirements to Ravi Babu at firstname.lastname@example.org.